It’s almost September and summer is coming to a close. Now what? It’s time to book and plan your year-end getaways. We did a little research at Kali headquarters and found discounted, cool places to travel each month until we ring in 2018.
If you find yourself making excuses for why you can’t travel, do it for your health. Traveling has been proven to strengthen your antibodies and boost your immune system due to the exposure to different environments. Traveling also increases happiness and decreases stress. It can improve your brain health by exposing you to new experiences and people, which can increase cognitive flexibility. Travel also helps you stay fit because it forces you to stay active. What are you waiting for?
September: Cancun, Mexico
- Average Weather: 91 Degrees Fahrenheit
- Median Airfare: $300 from NYC
- 5 Star Hotel: $260/Night at the Ritz Carlton
- Photo By: Xibalba Dive Center
In September, you can find huge discounts on hotels in Cancun, Mexico. The Ritz Carlton property is only $260/N and is clean, relaxing, and luxurious. Whale sharks are typically there until mid-October. If you haven’t swum with whale sharks, it’s time to check that box now. There are two other must see excursions – discovering Xibalba, the Mayan Underworld and visiting the Mayan ruins, Chichen Itza. However, if you need to catch up on relaxation and reading, the beach or pool at the Ritz are great options.
October: Lisbon, Portugal
- Average Weather: 72 Degrees Fahrenheit
- Median Airfare: $550 from NYC
- 5 Star Hotel: $200/Night
Lisbon had a longer summer than almost anywhere else in Europe. October is the perfect weather to visit. The views and impeccable food options are worth the plane ride. Definitely splurge a little and pick one of these Michelin star restaurants: Belcanto, Alma, or Loco. A few must-see attractions to put on your list while visiting Lisbon are:
- George’s Castle on Lisbon’s highest hill in Alfama.
- The hilly Alfama neighborhood by Tram 28.
- The historic monuments in Belém.
- The Monastery of Jerome.
November: San Francisco, CA
- Average Weather: 74 Degrees Fahrenheit
- Median Airfare: $280 from NYC
- 5 Star Hotel: $300/Night
San Francisco is beautiful any time of the year. However, November is one of the best times to go. Shockingly, fall offers some of the city’s warmest temperatures and fewer crowds. Make sure to add these things to your to-do-list:
- Walk the Golden Gate Bridge. Make sure to bring a jacket.
- Tour Alcatraz.
- Book this half-day tour to see the Muir Woods and Sausalito. You will not be disappointed. It’s a perfect amount of time to see both.
- Say hello to the sea lions at Fishman’s Wharf.
- Walk down the famous crooked street, Lombard Street.
- Sip on a fancy cocktail at the Top of the Mark and enjoy 360 degree panoramic views of the city.
- Take a break at the Palace Hotel for afternoon tea.
December: Frankfurt, Germany
- Average Weather: 43 Degrees Fahrenheit
- Median Airfare: $450 from NYC
- 5 Star Hotel: $250/Night (56% cheaper than their peak)
- Photo By: Planetware.com
Typically the financial center of Germany, Frankfurt rediscovers tradition with Christmas markets and festive displays in December. Not only is it the cheapest time to visit, it’s the perfect destination to get you in the holiday spirit. Make sure to check out:
- Christmas shopping on the Zeil and the Goethestrasse.
- Visit the breathtaking Christmas market in the Old Town Center.
- Discover the beautiful art in the Städel Museum.
- Go ice-skating at the Eissporthalle.
- Spend a day exploring the Senckenberg Natural History Museum and the zoo.
- Walk around the city and go see the Roman Catholic St. Bartholomew’s Cathedral.
- Book tickets at the historic Opera House.
Written By: Jonna Piira, CEO of Kali
Member of the Kali Girl Tribe.